Monday, December 9, 2013

Mario Merz - Places with No Street, 1987


Mario Merz was an Italian artist that created this piece in 1987 and it involves numbers lit up on natural materials like twigs with wire mesh, stones, neon tubing, aluminum and wires. Without any outside knowledge about this piece, I come to conclude that it is suppose to signify a unique story. It involves mechanical pieces leading into a dome with natural materials like stone and twigs with wire mesh over top of it. I love the effort into making a twig rug this large and the unique ideas as well as the piece from a composition perspective.

Mario Merz’s, Places with No Street, evokes a emotion from me that is leading me to be less literal and use unique materials to create a piece that displays coexistence between humans and the environment.  In this piece by Mario Merz, I see the lit numbers and wire mesh as humans, and the stone and twigs as nature or the environment.  Mario thought a lot about the creation and technical aspects of this piece before he made it I believe and the outcome of his piece, Places with No Street, inspires me to create a piece using materials that can evoke a emotion and specific theme from the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment