Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Joel Sternfeld - A Blind Man in His Garden, Homer, Alaska, July 1984.



This is a photo by Joel Sternfeld, called A Blind Man in His Garden, Homer, Alaska, July 1984. This photo is interesting to me because of its visual quality and rhythm. I am thinking about pursuing photography and another medium like wire or printmaking to cohesively display my theme of coexistence. This photo by Joel Sternfeld portrays a blind man in his garden at his home in Alaska and has a sense of harmony, and coexistence of a man with his personal place in the world that he appears to feel compassion for.
               I think the color of the flowers attract me at first and then I see a man standing in the middle of them that I would not of known was blind until I read the title which makes this photograph even more interesting because of the question it raises. Photography like this that has a narrative that is relative to coexistence is a starting point that I could take note on and start with. I realize that theme of coexistence may not be surfaced at first glance of this photography, but I think it inspires me to start somewhere with my theme incorporating human interaction with nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment