Monday, December 9, 2013

Adrian Villar Rojas- Return the World (Trunk), 2012


Adrian Villar Rojas created a series called, Return the World, in particular this piece, Return the World (Trunk), in 2012. He uses unusual materials to recreate things seen in everyday life like  trees, plants, etc.  In this piece, Rojas uses unfired clay, metal, cement, and wood to create a huge tree trunk that has broken and fallen over.  The style he has and materials he uses are unique in the contemporary art world which is interesting to me. I feel he puts a lot of critical thinking about location of his pieces too.

            I am inspired by Adrian Villar Rojas’s work because he gets it.  He has obvious skill with recreating things in nature from synthetic materials. Also, he has sound technical skill and his literal interpretation of organic things with synthetic materials is interesting and inspires me to think more about the materials I could use to portray the positive and negative aspects of coexistence.  Rojas and I both have love for nature and we both display this.  However, I use wire in a non-literal way to display nature by shaping it in organic ways and my figures in a way that displays coexistence with nature, so I think me and Rojas are different, but there are many interesting aspects from his work that I can learn from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment