Monday, December 9, 2013

Marc Chagall- I and the Village

                                                      Marc Chagall - I and the Village, 1911

Marc Chagall was an artist that worked in many periods such as, Surrealism, cubism, expressionism, fauvism, and modern art. He is inspiration to me because of the abstract, cubist, expressionist qualities to his pieces, movement, action, and most importantly coexistence that is displayed in this piece in particular.   Chagall’s, I and the Village, was done in 1911 and displays a place where peasants and their cattle coexist and respect each other represented by the animal and person looking into each other eyes.  The abstract, cubist style influences me to think about how I can display the idea of coexistence.  This painting has a quality and style to it that reminds me the positive side of coexistence instead of the negative, which I am dwelling on both in the project.

Chagall liked lines and angles when growing up which led to his cubist style. I also focus on lines and angles, but with wire.  I like that fact that Chagall made suggestions to the orbiting sun, moon, and earth in this painting with the circular forms.  That is another element that makes this piece interesting. I shape my wire in all types of ways to evoke a emotion and display a theme, which Marc Chagall does well and inspires me to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment