Saturday, July 27, 2013

Elizabeth Berrien: Wire Sculpture



Elizabeth Berrien is a prestigious, wire sculpture artist and she uses wire to creatively design animals, while expressing her love for all kinds of animals.  However, I like how she creates wire sculptures of people to like in her, “Three Graces.” What inspires me is that she is undoubtedly, not only one of the best and well-known wire sculptures in the world, but because she uses wire to display animals in ways that make them look like their dancing.  Also, Elizabeth Berrien’s wire sculptures have organic shapes, which add to their sense of movement.
            Elizabeth Berrien has won many awards and has art educators observing her work because they want to understand how she creates her artworks.  I appreciate her unique style and expressive attitude by sculpting animals, something she loves.  However, I want to take a more progressively abstract, expressive approach toward a large-scale self portrait and Elizabeth Berrien’s wire sculpture, “Three graces,” relates to me because of its scale, rhythm, and repetition. The way the women’s hair is shaped gives it the feeling that the hair is blowing in the wind. This unique approach in Berrien’s wire sculpture intrigues me and will aid me in developing my ideas for my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment